To get full credit for this Discussion Board, students must:
- Submit an initial post addressing questions 1, 2, and 3 below
- Respond to at least one classmate’s posting by challenging his/her answer to question 2 below
- Use standard English grammar and spelling
The studies of fossil records indicate that current insects evolved from giant ancestors. Watch the video titled “The Age of Giant Insects” to learn more about insect evolution. Some scientists argue that the era of giant insects ended as the levels of atmospheric molecular oxygen declined; others stated that as birds conquered the skies, they outcompeted larger insect species. To learn more about this passage in evolutionary history, read the article titled “Reign of the giant insects ended with the evolution of birds” available at the Indiana Public Media website.
The video titled “The Age of Giant Insects” is available in Chapter 10, third page, under Discussion Questions.
The article titled “Reign of the giant insects ended with the evolution of birds” is available in Chapter 10, third page, under Discussion Questions.
1. Postulate a hypothesis to explain the disappearance of giant insects during evolution?
2. Explain the evidence that supports the stated hypothesis.
3. Proposed at least one experiment to test the stated hypothesis.