The movie Concussion, based on the discoveries and research by Nigerian doctor, Bennet Omalu, generated controversy by suggesting that the game of football, along with other sports, promoted serious physical and even life-threatening injuries to players. A barrage of news articles, texts, and documentaries posed the following question: “Are Sports Becoming Too Dangerous?”
For this final research paper, follow these steps:
- Choose a sport (boxing, ice-skating, football, rugby, et al), and research 10 to 15 sources generating the pros and cons of the sport.
- In your first two pages of writing, create a case for the benefits of this sport. (Keep your personal feelings removed from these first two pages. Only submit the evidence based on your research and carefully document that evidence through in-text (parenthetical) citations.
- In pages three and four, create a case for the dangers of this sport. This writing is not based on personal observation, but on your well-documented evidence.
- In pages five and six should be a summation of the conclusions that you were able to surmise based on the research.
- You may include graphs and figures to enhance the position of your essay. These would be inserted as an appendix after your essay and before your works cited page.
- The final page of this paper should be a properly documented works cited page (10-15 sources that were listed throughout your paper). Be sure to include texts and scholarly journals as well as online sources.
These articles, resources, and websites will get you started, but you must do additional credible research.
- British Broadcasting Co. “Are Sports Becoming Too Dangerous?”
- National Center for Injury Prevention and Control (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
- Journal of Sport & Health Science (JSHS)
- NFL Concussion Litigation
- Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy
Criteria for This Assignment
Length and Formatting Requirements
- Five to six pages, double spaced
- Time New Roman, 12-point font
- Works Cited page
- In-text citations
- Organize your paper using the outline described in the instructions.
- Locate 10 to 15 reliable, credible, and valid resources about the pros and cons of your sport of choice.
- Write an essay using those resources, citing them properly both in-text and in the works cited page.
- Include your personal opinion only after explaining and describing the research you gathered.
Each of the 10 sources must be cited somewhere in the paper.
Must use MLA format.