- Define the terms worthy poor and unworthy poor.
- Identify an example of a population that may be viewed as worthy and one that may be viewed as unworthy.
- Analyze the effect of being designated unworthy on the populations that are viewed as such.
- Stern, M.J., & Axinn, J. (2018). Social welfare: A history of American response to need (9th ed.). Pearson Education.
- Chapter 3, “The Pre-Civil War Period: 1776-1860” (pp. 34-38)
- Hansen, H., Bourgois, P., & Drucker, E. (2014). Pathologizing poverty: New forms of diagnosis, disability, and structural stigma under welfare reform Links to an external site.. Social Science & Medicine, 103, 76–83.
- Michailakis, D., & Schirmer, W. (2014). Social work and social problems: A contribution from systems theory and constructionism Links to an external site.. International Journal of Social Welfare, 23(4), 431–442.
- Mitchell, D. (2011). Homelessness, American style Links to an external site.. Urban Geography, 32(7), 933–956.