Find an article in the local newspaper, web news service e.g. CNN, MSNBC,
Google, or a weekly newsmagazine e.g. Time, Newsweek or U.S. New World Reports
reporting a recent (last six months) health related research study.
Your name _________________________________________
Name of the newspaper/web/newsmagazine article __________________________
Health subject of the article __________________________________
1. Summarize the article in two paragraphs and attach the article.
2. Use information from Chapter 2 and the article for this question. How was the
study conducted? Do you believe it was conducted in a reliable manner (large
sample, type of study appropriate to research question, experimental vs
observational research, sample contained diverse members or from one group,).
Why or why not.
3. What would you say to a friend or family member who read the article and had
questions? Would you tell them to use the drug, buy the product, avoid certain
foods or add a food into their diet, try the supplement? Why or why not?
4. Is further research needed on this topic? Why or why not. If so, what would
you suggest for the next study?
5. What did you learn from this article?
6. Find the original journal science article your news
story was referring to and summarize the research article, compare and contrast
the two articles, do you think the news story accurately reported the findings
of the journal article why or why not, and attach a copy/link of the journal article.