Frameworks were briefly introduced in Topic 1 as students mapped HIPAA and PCI to the NIST 800-53 set of security controls. NIST is only one of many available frameworks companies can use to establish and manage their IT and security programs while meeting industry standards, regulations, compliance, and laws. This assignment will continue evaluating frameworks and the applicability.
In a two to four-page paper, provide a comparison of five major frameworks. For each framework, identify the similarities and differences among each of the other frameworks in a matrix fashion.
Potential frameworks include: COSO, COBIT, ISO 27001, ITIL, NIST 800 Series, Risk Management Framework, Cybersecurity Framework, Factor Analysis of Information Risk (FAIR), Threat Agent Risk Assessment (TARA), or Operationally Critical Threat Asset and Vulnerability Evaluation (OCTAVE). Note: Prince2, PMBOK, OPM3, SixSigma, and other project management-based models are not applicable for this assignment.
Make sure to address the following:
- Explain each framework (purpose) and how they can be applied to a company.
- List the similarities and differences among them.
- Identify the advantages and disadvantages of each framework.
- Frameworks provide guidance to ensure information privacy and security. While privacy focuses on an individual’s right, security refers to an organization’s responsibility. Provide one ethical standpoint that you would choose privacy over security and discuss it from the Christian worldview.
- Describe the industry or organization best suited to each framework (i.e., hospital, banking, manufacturing, retail). Include examples.
Briefly answer the questions below to explain the differences between the five frameworks selected and Access Control Models presented:
- What is the difference between an Access Control Model and Security Framework?
- Can Access Control Models and Frameworks be combined?
- How does a framework impact an information system?
- How does an Access Control Model impact an information system?
Make each question a Topic