Write a 3 page essay summarizing one of our advanced readings.
The readings you have to choose from are:
Osborne 2004 – Homer’s Society
Powell 2002 – The Legend of the Return of Odysseus
Nagy 2013 – The Mind of Odysseus
Powell 2002 – Myth and Law: The Legend of Orestes
Zeitlin 2010 – The Lady Vanishes
Farell 2004 –Roman Homer
All of these readings are on Canvas in the Modules section of each week
In writing your essay you may want to consider the following approach:
- First, think about the books of the Iliad or Odyssey covered in your chosen week. Choose one of the major themes, major episodes or characters which interests you, read it and summarize it/them with accuracy and detail (what happened? Why was it or they important to the plot of the poem generally?)
- Second, summarize briefly your understanding of the advanced article (if you are unsure, re-watch the Video lecture)
- Third, using the key terms of the week, show how the figures and events described in your Homeric episode integrate with the argument of the advanced reading. Think about how you believe the Homeric poems (and your section in particular) demonstrate or contain important insight or wisdom for an ancient and/or modern audience.
Features of Your Paper:
- Three (3) typed pages, one-inch margins, double-spaced, 12-pt font.
- Your name, course, my name, assignment, and date should be in upper left hand corner
- Page numbers should be in the bottom right corner only
- Original title in plain 12-pt font and centered