Part 1: READING RESPONSE REFLECTIONS (FOCUSED) â€“ OF (2) READINGS (#1 AND #2) Include a list of issues and perspectives learned from the weekâ€™s readings, vocabulary (and names of important people and organizations). You may use bulleted notes, and these may be brief.**I am curious to know which perspective you align. Give as much focus as possible here:**1) For the Trekkies, you are going to enjoy the Trammell (2009) article. Iâ€™m sorry to disappoint the sports fans but â€œRed Shirtingâ€ was not used in reference to college athletics.
2) The focus of the articles shifts from using the disability label as the basis for accommodation decisions to using the studentâ€™s contextual and functional needs as the basis of accommodation decisions.
3) In addition, they examine the accommodation process from the studentâ€™s perspective. In what ways do these different perspectives inform your philosophy of disability services for neurodiverse students?
YOU SHOULD BE LOOKING AT THIS FROM A DISABILITY ADVOCATES PERSPECTIVE/LENS.
Provide your reflection to the readings. You may use the following (OPTIONAL) questions to guide you:
1) How did the readings for the week help you understand and/or rethink the topic for the week?
2) Were there ambiguities, contradictions, areas of concern and/or confusions among the readings, explain the significance?
3) How do the readings inform your philosophy of Disability Services for Neurodiverse Students?
**Try to focus on your analysis rather than a summary of the articles.Length: Total of approximately (250 words – 1 page) for Reading Response (this includes the list and your reflection)
Part 2: GIVE A FOCUSED ANALYSIS (NOT A SYNOPSIS) OF THE (4) READINGS IN YOUR OWN WORDS â€“ YOU MAY NOT REPEAT THOUGHTS, PHRASES, OR CITING’S FROM PART 1… Your responses should be SUBSTANTIVE: they should demonstrate a serious engagement with the text(s), all claims you make should be fully and completely explained and claims about what the text says should be backed with PROPER quotations and/or evidence from the text. Be sure to provide enough reference information in your responses so that we can find the page/quotation/etc. that you are referring to or discussing in your responses.
YOU MAY NOT USE ANY OUTSIDE SOURCES â€“ ONLY WHAT IS PROVIDED. This should focus more on your REFLECTION / REACTION (Light Citation 2-3 should be incorporated) in approximately 150 â€“ 200 words per reading. Cite the source after response.Citations: APA Style
#1) Trammell (2009)
Trammell, Jack. (2009) Red-Shirting college students with disabilities. Learning Assistance Review, 14(2), 21-31.
#2) Kurth & Mellard (2006)
Kurth, N. & Mellard, D., & (2006). Student perceptions of the accommodation process in postsecondary education. Journal of Postsecondary Education and Disability, 19(1), 71-84.
#3) Cawthorn & Cole (2010)
Cawthorn, S. W., & Cole, E. V. (2010). Postsecondary students who have a learning disability: Student perspectives on accommodations access and obstacles. Journal of Postsecondary Education and Disability, 23(2), 112-128.
#4) Barnard-Brak, Lectenberg & Lan (2010)
Barnard-Brak, L., Lectenberg, D., & Lan, W. Y. (2010). Accommodation strategies of college students with disabilities. The Qualitative Report, 15(2), 411-429.