This week, we learned about the Role of Corrections in the United States. For your Unit 1 Complete assignment, write a narrative essay (minimum 1200 words) in which you address and discuss the questions and statements listed below. Use at least three scholarly sources and remember to demonstrate a thorough understanding of the READ and ATTEND sections in your essay. Quote your sources in APA format.
- Explain how an offender is processed through each stage of the criminal justice system.
- How effective have America’s “Get Tough on Crime” initiatives been on reducing crime?
- Do you believe our corrections system is effective in rehabilitating offenders?
- Do you feel that mandatory minimum sentences have a positive impact on reducing crime in the US? Why/ Why not?
- If you were a member of the legislature, how would you go about proposing legislation to abolish mandatory minimum sentencing practices?
- What, if anything, would be wrong with punishing thieves simply by having them return whatever they have stolen.
- Define Deterrence and then explain the difference between general and specific deterrence.
- Three-Strikes Laws have been the source of continued controversy, In your opinion, should they be abolished?
- Assume that you are a Senator within your home state in which determinate sentencing is currently being practiced; However, you have introduced a bill to switch to indeterminate sentencing. What are some of the strengths of indeterminate sentencing that you could use to persuade your fellow senators?