Week 1 DiscussionDiscussion Topic Due December 3 at 12:59 AM
Before beginning work on this week’s discussion forum, please review the link “Doing Discussion Questions Right,” the expanded grading rubric for the forum, and any specific instructions for this week’s topic.
- By the due date assigned, respond to the assigned discussion questions and submit your responses to the appropriate topic in this Discussion Area.
- Respond to the assigned questions using the lessons and vocabulary found in the reading.
- Support your answers with examples and research and cite your research using the APA format.
- Start reviewing and responding to the postings of your classmates as early in the week as possible.
- Theft in the Workplace
The great global recession has claimed many victims. In many countries, unemployment is at near-historic highs, and even those who have managed to keep their jobs have been asked to accept reduced work hours or pay cuts. In some cases—say, the US auto industry—job losses have been predictable but no less painful. However, in other cases, they have come as a surprise.
The financial and psychological pain caused by the recession may lead you to wonder whether employees attempt to get even. Is there evidence the recession has led to increased incidents of workplace violence, sabotage, or theft? Following the economic down-turn in 2008, nearly 400 employees were asked whether the recession had caused a recent rise in thefts of money among employees, 18 percent said yes, 41 percent said no, and 41 percent were unsure.
Put on your investigator hat, ask questions, analyze the situation, and consider the source!
Your discussion assignment this week requires you to locate an article on theft in the workplace attributed to economic recession and share with your class the important points that your article made. Based upon your reading and research, discuss how the following variables may affect an employee’s likelihood to steal from their company:
- Employee attitudes
- Employee satisfaction
- Employee personality
- Employee values
- Lastly, discuss what you would do to lessen the likelihood of employee theft.
You may draw from your experience, this week’s readings, and your own research.
Demonstrate that your research comes from credible sources and cite them in APA format.