57. Question : An infant suddenly develops abdominal pain, becomes irritable (colicky), and draws up the knees. Vomiting occurs soon afterward. The mother reports that the infant passed a normal stool, followed by one that looked like currant jelly. Based on these data, which disorder does the nurse suspect?
58. Question : An individual’s genetic makeup is referred to as his or her:
59. Question : Which type of ion directly controls the contraction of muscles?
60. Question : Which hormone is linked to an increase in appetite during puberty?
61. Question : What syndrome, characterized by an absent homologous X chromosome with only a single X chromosome, exhibits features that include a short stature, widely spaced nipples, and webbed neck?
62. Question : When a woman’s uterus is assessed as protruding through the entrance of the vagina to the hymen, which grade of prolapse does this indicate?
63. Question : An amniocentesis indicates a neural tube defect when an increase in which protein is evident?
64. Question : Which condition poses the highest risk for a cerebrovascular accident (CVA)?
65. Question : Which dyskinesia involves involuntary movements of the face, trunk, and extremities?
66. Question : Which neurotransmitter is inhibited in panic disorders?
67. Question : Loud snoring, a decrease in oxygen saturation, fragmented sleep, chronic daytime sleepiness, and fatigue are clinical manifestations of which sleep disorder?
68. Question : A blunt force injury to the forehead would result in a coup injury to which region of the brain?
69. Question : It is true that Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS):
70. Question : Atrial fibrillation, rheumatic heart disease, and valvular prosthetics are risk factors for which type of stroke?
71. Question : What is the first sign of puberty in girls?
72. Question : A criterion for a diagnosis of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is a period of excessive worrying that lasts for at least how many months?
73. Question : What is the blood type of a person who is heterozygous, having A and B alleles as codominant?
74. Question : What is the leading cause of infertility in women?
75. Question : Which dietary lifestyle choice has been associated with a decreased risk for developing colon cancer?
76. Question : When insulin binds its receptors on muscle cells, an increase in glucose uptake by the muscle cells is the result. This is an example of what type of effect by a hormone?
77. Question : Which characteristic is true of type II (white fast-motor) muscle fibers?
78. Question : How do the clinical manifestations and onset of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis (JRA) differ from those of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in adults?
79. Question : The BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations increase the risk of which cancer in women?
80. Question : What part of the brain provides the emotional response to pain?
81. Question : The most critical aspect in correctly diagnosing a seizure disorder and establishing its cause is:
82. Question : How does the release (increase) of epinephrine raise body temperature?
83. Question : In 95% of children of delayed puberty, the problem is caused by:
84. Question : Neurofibrillary tangles characterize which neurologic disorder?
85. Question : Acute glomerulonephritis (AGN) may be accompanied by a positive throat or skin culture for which bacteria?
86. Question : Congenital aganglionic megacolon (Hirschsprung disease) involves inadequate motility of the colon caused by neural malformation of which nervous system?
87. Question : The absence of which major hormone is a determinant of sexual differentiation (wolffian system) in utero?
88. Question : What is the target tissue for prolactin-releasing factor?
89. Question : The number of persons living with a specific disease at a specific point in time is referred to by which term?
90. Question : The mucosal secretions of the cervix secrete which immunoglobulin?
91. Question : What term describes the loss of the comprehension or production of language?
92. Question : Which assessment finding characterizes Osgood-Schlatter disease?
93. Question : In scoliosis, curves in the thoracic spine greater than how many degrees result in decreased pulmonary function?
94. Question : What causes the crystallization within the synovial fluid of the joint affected by gouty arthritis?
95. Question : Which term is also used to refer to paradoxic sleep?
96. Question : Parkinson disease is a degenerative disorder of the brain’s:
97. Question : Open-angle glaucoma occurs because of:
98. Question : Which type of fracture usually occurs in an individual who engages in a new activity that is strenuous and repetitive?
99. Question : Which statement is true regarding the major difference between male and female sex hormone production?
100. Question : DNA formation occurs in which of the cell’s structures?